A huge thank you to Jaclyn Karabinas (soulstrikersedu.com) for nominating my blog for a Sunshine Award! I was quite surprised as this is only my 26th blog post, so still very young! I am still awestruck that people are actually reading it, but I hope even more that you are finding it enjoyable, thought provoking, inspiring or interesting.
Here is a bit more about the Sunshine Award as Jaclyn quotes, “copied from Conversation Education: The Sunshine Award was started by Matt Renwick, an elementary principal in Wisconsin (@readbyexample). Here are the rules Matt lists in his post: Acknowledge the nominating blogger. Share 11 random facts about yourself. Answer the 11 questions the nominating blogger has created for you. List 11 bloggers. They should be bloggers you believe deserve some recognition and a little blogging love! Post 11 questions for the bloggers you nominate to answer and let all the bloggers know they have been nominated. (You cannot nominate the blogger who nominated you.)
This will probably be the most difficult blog to write so far!
11 Random Facts about Me……
1. I secretly always wanted to be a cowgirl….(After going on a three week horsepacking expedition in Wyoming when I was 16, wrangler jeans, a cowboy hat, and boots became often worn accessories….not the usual ‘get-up’ for a girl living on the coastline of California!)
2. I was born in London, but grew up in California. I have also lived in Tunisia, the former Yugoslavia and Vancouver.
3. One thing on my ‘bucket-list’ is to one day take part in the Iditarod.
4. I used to be a really good poetry writer….I have won many prizes and competitions for my poems, from primary school, all the way into University. However, I haven’t written a poem since I won first place in a University writing competition in 2003!
5. I wanted four children, but am so blessed to have the two beautiful and amazing children that I do have!
6. When I was little I used to tell people I was a princess. My mum has a very British accent, so when we lived in L.A. I told my friends that she was part of the British royalty……..they believed me!
7. I am supposed to be running the London Marathon and really need to get back into training!
8. I love to learn…..I secretly wish I could attend university classes every week!
9. My grandmother was my very best friend……I miss her everyday even though she passed over fifteen years ago.
10. I love everything to be organised, but getting there can sometimes be difficult!
11. My priorities are: God, my husband, my children and then everything else…….
The 11 Questions that Jaclyn Karabinas (soulstrikersedu.com) asked me:
1. When/where do you accomplish much of your thinking?
Driving in the car after I have dropped the children off at school. It seems to be the only time I am on my own…..but also when I am writing my blog – it gives me the space and time to think.
2. What is your favorite season?
My favourite season is fall. I met my husband in the fall in Virginia, so it has lots of great memories for me. But, the colours of the trees on the east coast is unlike anything I have ever seen. Beautiful….
3. Are there any foods you simply cannot stand?
No, I think I will eat anything now! I used to be a vegetarian (for 7 years!) Then a vegan for about 2. Before I had my daughter I could not stand and would not eat Indian food, now I cannot get enough. So, now, I really think I would eat anything!
4. What is your strongest memory from childhood?
Visiting my grandparent’s houses, both in San Clemente or in England. When I went to my grandmother’s house in England, it was always magical. She had an enormous house with vast amounts of land…..and horses! It really was a little girl’s dream. But visiting my granny in San Clemente was always the thing I looked forward to most of all. Especially, when I was old enough to spend time with her without my parents. Those were always the very best memories…..
5. ….from high school?
Playing volleyball. I used to play volleyball day and night. I played for school and for a club team. That is what I remember most from high school…..and the amount of games and travelling to and from the games we used to have to do! Our teams always had a lot of fun!
6. What is the one change you would make in public education if you could?
Where do I start?
7. What are you currently reading?
I am currently reading, “Leadership with a Moral Purpose,” written by Will Ryan.
8. Where will your next vacation be?
I am hoping our next vacation will be back to America. But, I would be happy for anywhere as we haven’t been on a proper family vacation for four years!
9. If you could have dinner (or coffee or drinks) with anyone living or dead, who would it be and what would you want to ask him or her? (took this one from Tomasen!)
God – I would ask him about everything…..but, let’s face it, I already do!
10. What is something you do absolutely every single day, no matter what?
Tell my family how much I love them…….
11. What time do you get out of bed each morning?
The alarm goes off at 5:45, it depends how many times I hit the snooze button, but I am always out of bed by 6:10 at the very latest!
Bloggers I Nominate for the Sunshine Award: (I don’t follow 11 blogs – but I do these ones. Though I haven’t read everything that they have written, the things I have read have either made me think or have even inspired me!)
11 Questions I ask them:
1. What is your advice to people about maintaining a work/life balance?
2. How do you achieve success?
3. What would be your ideal meal?
4. If you were trapped on an island, what five things would you want with you?
5. What are three things that you would put on your ‘bucket-list’?
6. What does good leadership look like?
7. What makes you happy?
8. What book would you recommend to others’ to read?
9. What movie has inspired you?
10. What is your favourite quote?
11. If you could study anything (besides perhaps what you already have), what would it be?
Looking forward to seeing your responses!
Thank you again for the nomination…..brought a ray of sunshine to my day!